“Giving birth should be your greatest achievement not your greatest fear.”
Sacred Space offers a 3 day full immersive retreat + 1 online session, during which time you will explore and experience support, nurturing, nourishment and connect to a community of like minded people. Time away from your everyday life to emerge yourself fully into discovering the doula within.
Come and join us …
Schedule of dates, times, locations and investment:
NEXT WORKSHOP DATES:
9-11 September 2022 in person workshop + 1 online session TBD
€1300 includes retreat accommodation, food, workshop and training manuals
Veikkola on the shore of Kaljärvi lake, 1 hour west of Helsinki
EARLY BIRD REGISRATION:
Available on the upcoming trainings page
Each day from Friday to Sunday will begin promptly at 9:00 till 17:00
We will have tea breaks in the mid morning and mid afternoon with lunch from 12:00 till 13:00. There are some activities scheduled for the evening but these are more informal and will revolve around each groups needs.
Your investment for the entire retreat including lodgings, meals, workshop manuals (Workshop, Homestudy and Breastfeeding manual) is €1300.
Thereafter to complete your certification a fee of €50 is paid directly to your mentor that advises you and when you are ready to complete your certification a fee of €400 becomes payable before you write your exam.
Sacred Space Doula Training offers you a profound and compassionate approach to assisting and supporting parents in their journey into parenthood.
This workshop is an introduction to the world of being a doula – whether you are planning a career move or just wanting to assist at a friend or family member’s birth.
After your introductory workshop you will be equipped with many new skills that can be used practically with clients as well as to deepen your own personal preparation.
This intensive workshop is structured over 3 days + 1 online session. It is intended as a time for retreating within and contemplation. For you to hold the sacred space of birth you need time to discover the doula within you. Your heart and mind will explore new and old issues and open up to many new, exciting possibilities.
This takes time and energy that is best focused away from our everyday lives.
This workshop is open to all who wish to explore this dedicated career. There are no restrictions placed on attendees except the willingness to explore within themselves new depths, the dedication to hold the sacred space of birth and the honour of witnessing the miracle of life. It can be the ideal introduction to doulahood or a refresher and in-depth workshop for seasoned doulas.
After the beginning workshop, for those wishing to complete their doula certification there are specific requirements to fulfil. This part of the programme is for those who have decided that this is the path that they wish to explore.
The home study portion to be completed includes:
- Documenting several births
- Writing your impressions and thoughts of what you have learned at each birth and how this will assist you in future births
- A reading list with introspective notes
- List of ongoing education
- A brief self assessment
- Completion of the home study packet
- An online written examination
The completion of your home study depends on your personal commitment and life situation. It can be completed between 6 months to 2 years.
If you haven’t completed the home study within 2 years you will need to repeat the workshop. Special circumstances will always be taken into account and extensions will be given if asked for.
During this 3 day in person workshop + 1 day online session you will learn:
Day 1 – Pregnancy
– Birthing in our culture: how we are influenced in our way of thinking about birth and how this affects us as doulas/mothers/women/people
– Prenatal nutrition: how nourishment is essential for optimal strength and health
– Inner quest: what motivates you and how to motivate others, what to cover in prenatal meetings
– Activated deep listening: hearing the unspoken meaning behind the words and how to validate your clients experiences
– Holding sacred space: how to hold space for others experiences, how to clear your own space/mind/heart in preparation for entering into the space of birth
– Building relationships: how to build and maintain relationships with clients, creating community with other doulas and caregivers
– Getting started and networking: the nitty gritty of setting up your business
– Scope and ethical considerations: the what, when and why of it all
– Hands on, experiential and video information
Day 2 – Birth
– Labourland: understanding the new and known territory of birth
– Coping with the unexpected/pain: cultivating a non-outcome focused mindset, building a pain coping attitude and finding solutions
– Energy of birth: how to effectively support at births and how to make a difference when it matters
– 4 perspectives of birth: broadening our vision to include mother, father/partner, baby and cultural perspectives and how these affect each one emotionally, physically, spiritually and psychologically
-Doula tricks of the trade: discover tools to support and comfort in the shifting landscape of labour
– Immediate postpartum care: first hours after birth
– Ceremony and celebration: how to make meaningful celebrations and rejoice in the work well done
– Hands on, experiential and video information
Day 3 – Postpartum
– Debriefing after a birth: a practice for helping not only clients but also doulas
– Grief and loss: how to hold space in times of sorrow and unexpected outcomes
– Meal planning: nourishing the body and the soul
– Household tasks and chores: how to make a difference from the beginning
– Relationships and sexuality: keeping it real and honest
– Care during hospitalisation: when mother/parent or baby needs more care
– Home care expectations: how to envelope the newborn family in their first few days
– Parenting advice and practices: helping the new mother/parent to take their first steps as a parent
– Postpartum depression: signs to look out for and what to do about it
– Self care and introspection: inner preparation and how not to burn out!
– Closing circle and attendance certificate hand out
Remote class online – Breastfeeding
– The role of a doula in the breastfeeding/chestfeeding period: how to support in different situations
– Advantages and disadvantages: of different types of feeding
– How breastfeeding/chestfeeding works: physiology of the breast/chest
– Preparation for Breastfeeding/chestfeeding: debunking myths and old wive’s tales
– Positioning and latching: increasing success and avoiding problems
– Assessing breastfeeding/chestfeeding: determining baby is being fed
– Lactivism: educating others about breastfeeding/chestfeeding
– Video information